How your podiatrists in Milwaukee, Green Bay, Madison, Wausau, or LaCrosse, WI, can help your feet
If you have an ingrown toenail, you know that they can be very painful, greatly affecting your ability to perform even simple tasks such as walking or putting on shoes. Fortunately, there are podiatrists in your area who can help you and your feet feel better. If you live in the Milwaukee, Green Bay, Madison, Wausau, or LaCrosse, WI areas, contact The Wisconsin Podiatric Medical Association to find a podiatrist near you.
More about Ingrown Toenails
You can probably tell when you have an ingrown toenail because your toenail will appear dark and swollen. You may even see pus draining out from underneath your toenail. The most obvious symptom of an ingrown toenail is the pain and pressure building up underneath your toenail.
You may be more likely to suffer an ingrown toenail if your toenails naturally curve under. Other causes of ingrown toenails include:
- Wearing shoes without enough toe room
- Cutting your toenails too short and rounding the corners
- Fungal infections or injuries to your toes
- Poor foot structure and genetic factors
The key to dealing with ingrown toenails is prevention. There are many steps you can take to make it less likely you will suffer from an ingrown toenail. Remember to:
- Always cut your toenails straight across
- Don’t cut your toenails too short
- Always wear shoes with plenty of toe room
If you do have an ingrown toenail, you can try a few simple tips like these:
- Soak your toe in warm water several times each day
- Gently place dental floss underneath your toenail to force the toenail up out of your skin
- Apply antibiotic cream underneath your toenail
- Bandage your toe and toenail to provide cushioning and support
- Wear open-toed shoes until your toenail heals
For stubborn, severe ingrown toenails, your podiatrist can help with a variety of treatments, including:
- Lifting and separating the toenail from your skin so it can grow freely
- Trimming your toenail to allow the toenail to grow normally
- Removing the toenail so a healthy toenail can grow in its place
You don't have to suffer from ingrown toenail pain when relief is just a phone call away. If you are looking for a podiatrist in the Milwaukee, Green Bay, Madison, Wausau, and LaCrosse, WI areas, contact The Wisconsin Podiatric Medical Association at (608) 381-3530. Call today!