Radiology Webinar Series
This webinar series consists of 8 hours of instruction, broken down into three sections, and a written examination. Podiatric assistants will learn the important radiological skills necessary to perform their delegated x-ray tasks in a podiatrist’s office, including:
- Science of radiation in x−rays.
- Radiation exposure and monitoring including dose limits for exposure to ionizing radiation.
- Health risks of radiation exposure.
- Safety techniques to reduce radiation exposure to staff and patients as low as reasonably achievable
- Anatomy and function of foot and leg.
- Positioning for podiatric x−rays.
- Equipment operation technique and quality control, including analog and digital.
- Infection control.
- Legal and ethical issues.
Podiatric x-ray assistants must demonstrate every 10 years that they are competent to perform delegated x-ray tasks by successfully completing 8 hours of course instruction outlined in this chapter and successfully completing a written examination.
This course of instruction has been approved by the Wisconsin Podiatric Affiliated Credentialing Board.
Who should take this course?
Any unlicensed person taking x-rays in a podiatrist’s office must complete an approved course of study in radiography.
How do I register?
Registration is easy and can be completed online.
Meet Your Speaker: Mark E. Pfeifer, DPM
The WPMA is fortunate to have Dr. Pfiefer lead our assistant’s radiology webinar. Dr. Pfeifer is a podiatrist at Mercy Health System, where he specializes in diagnosing and treating foot and ankle problems in people of all ages. He is certified both by the American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics and Primary Podiatric Medicine and the American Board of Lower Extremity Surgery. Dr. Pfeifer is a Fellow of the American College of Podiatric Radiologists and the American Society of Podiatric Dermatology.
To learn more about Dr. Pfeifer, please visit: http://www.mercyhealthsystem.org
What does the law say?
The Wisconsin Podiatry Affiliated Credentialing Board published Pod 7.01, which outlines the necessary course of instruction for podiatric x-ray assistants. The complete rule can be viewed here: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/pod/7/01